Facebook in 2018 is out new tools in Pakistan, which will prevent the misuse of your Profile Picture of everyone. The new feature was added in response to feedback from users in Pakistan who complained so frequently that their pictures are misusing by some jerks, citing the numerous safety and privacy challenges that Pakistan users face with their social media accounts.
With Facebook’s new Profile Picture Guard feature, you will now be able to prevent your profile picture from being downloaded by anyone even from inspect element.
Facebook Product Manager, Aarati Soman revealed this feature on New year in Pakistan. The Photo Guard or Profile Picture Guard will be accompanied with a new design feature which compliments the former. Facebook’s research shows that adding unique designs to your profile picture also helps stop its misuse:
Based on preliminary tests, we’ve learned that when someone adds an extra design layer to their profile picture, other people are at least 75% less likely to copy that picture.
How it will Protect?
Pakistani users will be able to see a step-by-step guide to secure their profile picture in their News Feed soon. After setting up the Profile Picture Guard:
- Other people will no longer be able to download, share or send your profile picture in a message on Facebook.
- People you’re not friends with on Facebook won’t be able to tag anyone, including themselves, in your profile picture.
- Prevent others from taking a screenshot of your profile picture on Facebook, which is currently available only on Android devices.
- A blue border and shield will be displayed around your profile picture as a visual cue of protection.
How to Turn On Profile Picture Guard
To turn on the FB Profile Picture Guard Please Follow the Steps Below
- Go to Your facebook Profile.
- Click on the Profile Picture Hover and Change the exiting picture or upload a new one.
- After uploading the new picture you will see a Protect This Picture with Guardclick on that.
- After clicking your profile picture will be protected from any misuse including downloading or saving your picture using any browser.
Further, Facebook will also prevent people from taking a screenshot of your profile picture on Facebook. However, this feature is currently available only on Android devices.
In addition to this, a blue border and shield around profile picture will also be shown as a visual cue of protection.
How successful will be Facebook’s attempt at stemming the spread of fake profiles and misuse of peoples’ profile pictures, only time will tell.
Regarding this new tool Facebook released a statement:
“We are piloting new tools that give people in Pakistan more control over who can download and share their profile pictures. In addition, we’re exploring ways people can more easily add designs to profile pictures, which our research has shown helpful in deterring misuse,”